POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Multicore insanity : Re: Multicore insanity Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:12:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Multicore insanity
From: Orchid XP v3
Date: 8 Sep 2007 09:21:03
Message: <46e2a1bf$1@news.povray.org>
Fredrik Eriksson wrote:

> As I understand it, XP Home supports multiple cores but is limited to a
> single processor. XP Pro supports multiple cores and is limited to two
> processors.

Micro$oft's own website is very vague on this point, but it appears that
you're right: they limit physical CPUs, but not cores.

I found the following data for Vista:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_editions_final.asp

(Scroll down to nearly the bottom for some charts.)

So, Vista supports 64-bit CPUs, eh? That's interesting... I wonder if
anybody has tried it yet? (There is of course a 64-bit edition of WinXP.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work properly... I'm wondering if the Vista
one does.)

Also, only Business, Enterprise and Ultimate support 2 physical CPUs. (I
find it surprising that Enterprise is limited to just 2... Maybe it's an
omission of the chart?)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/